John Jones was born in Culpepper County, Virginia, in 1755, and enlisted in the army of Andrew Lewis and was in the Battle of Point Pleasant, following which, upon his return to Culpepper} he enlisted in the patriot army and served throughout the Revolution. In 1792 he obtained patents for land for 359 acres on the Kanawha River and that same year for 400 acres more. In 1797 he obtained patents for 400 acres in Teays Valley and land on Paint Creek, besides making purchases from the state. He owned from Paint Creek to the Narrows on Kanawha, including the present sites of Pratt and Dego. In the Clifton Cemetery above Paint Creek, his remains were interred, a slab bearing inscription,
"In Memory of John Jones who departed This life January 7, 1838, Aged 83 Years." John Jones married Frances Morris, a sister of Win and Leonard Morris. He was hospitable and a good citizen. The Baptist Church founded at Kelley's Creek in 1796 was largely due to his interest and generosity.
His will, recorded March, 1838, mentions his wife, Frances, and children, Gabriel, who returned to Culpepper County, Va.; William; Nancy who married -- Huddleston; Thomas; Levi; and Frances, who married Shelton and were the progenitors of the prominent Nicholas County, W. Va., family of that name.
SOURCE: The Battle of Point Pleasant A Battle of the Revolution, October 10th, 1774, Mrs. Livia Nye Simpson-Poffenbarger, The State Gazette, Point Pleasant, W.V., 1909